Thursday, September 23, 2010

Some Astronomy & Fun Happenings

After a few weeks of fairly low activity, a lot of fun things have recently happened.

Some Astronomy Fun:

Connor and I when out for a viewing session of Jupiter as it makes its closest approach this September 2010 until the year 2022. I had sold my larger Meade LX 200 GPS scope approximately 2 years ago, but kept the smaller Meade ETX 105 for easier viewing sessions and eventually something to pass on to Connor and Brandon. I hadn't brought it out in over a year and even thought about selling it. (I've recently been wanting to buy a Macintosh)
Well, it was late, but we decided to pull it out and set it up at about 9:30 PM. Julie wasn't thrilled that was keeping Connor until 1130, but hey, has been over a year. The moon was almost full and as sparse clouds slowly passed by the crystal-clear sky, Jupiter was out in all its glory. It was almost 75°, a gentle breeze kept any bugs away and it was perfect.

Connor and I have seen Jupiter many times and I have even spent many hours imaging Jupiter with both the 10 inch scope and the 5 inch scope.

jupiterjupiter meade etx105

My neighbor came over and it was his first time looking through a telescope, ever. I think he enjoyed it very much and was also amazed at the detail that was visible on the almost full moon. I mentioned, of course, that the real in viewing the moon is when it is first quarter or less. All four Gallery in satellites were clearly visible as shown in the astronomy program graphic below.

1482Jupiter 

And here is a picture I took of Jupiter back in 2004 And the rest of my astronomy hobby Photo album!

Rogers-Jupiter-Compare

No comments:

Post a Comment