Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Van, Garage & Home Wheelchair Access

Proper Vehicle & Transportation

This was something I had to “learn” and by that, I mean, “the hard way”! See my post about what can happen HERE!

Getting’ out and having fun…

We were able to borrow a nicely outfitted Permobil C300 for about 1 1/2 yrs. from ALSA. It worked great and we used it at the mall, out to dinners and to walk the dog even though I could still walk. It ensured I would save my energy and wouldn’t fall. Even now I can still get around and do stairs (down being steadied and up without help). But, we still didn’t have a way to get it in the house and it leaked oil.  I felt much safer in the house on carpet or near couches, but even this was becoming slow, more difficult and dangerous.

I hated the thought of needing a chair, but by being a burden for someone to hold up, fear of falls and people starring thinking I was drunk, I quickly began to love the chair. People really don’t give me a second look. Winking smile

2012-07-21 11.29.43

Even though the chair was transportable, it was too much work and I knew one day the transitions wouldn’t work anyway. I heard stories of it taking 20 minutes getting ready to go anywhere…. that would NOT work for me!

We knew a ramp van was needed, but at $68,000 new, $22,000-$42,000 used, cost was an issue! http://www.braunability.com/wheelchair-minivans/

http://www.themobilityvanstore.com/2011_Honda_Odyssey_Lakeland_FL_135142468.veh2013-01-09 16.16.44

We got lucky and found a nice Dodge Caravan with Braun mobility ramp for only $11,600. I used to own new cars, Porsche & Audi… but now life is different …. I finally don’t give a shit about 108,000 miles. Open-mouthed smile  It’s insured as a recreational use <5000 mi./yr and added only $18/mo. in insurance. (+ I’ll drive million dollar Ferraris upstairs)

Now I roll out of the house, remotely opening the door and ramp, get latched in and on the road in under 4 minutes. when we arrive, I’m 2013-01-09 16.17.34usually out of the van and already headed into the store before it’s locked and the rest of the family is following behind me.  No falls and total independence.  I can usually stay out & about with less fatigue than anyone around me.

 

 

New Permobil M300

We also recently took delivery on an awesome new Permobil M300. I chose silver, height adjustments, easy triggered “hands-free” wheelchair 1power and mode, customized 4 profiles, air cushioned 22” seat, attendant controls, increased torque, wrap around head rest, ventilation fabrics throughout, concaved/swivel arm rest and softer suspension. We added the dog walking leas and cup holder.

wheelchair 5   wheelchair 2  

wheelchair 4  wheelchair 3

Home Access

At first I was going to use our same 8’ ramp to get into the house but quickly realized that it would be too steep and unsafe. I also didn’t want a ramp to stick out into the driveway (unsightly and in the weather) or to be taking up an entire side of the garage. We found a used Bruno lift on Craig’s List that was a fraction of a new one. It was a top of the line model with battery backup for power outages and complete with extra safety interlock gate and dual switch controls.

chair lift photo 2

The lift is very quiet, cushioned door closure with foam,  magnetic latch -almost no force to open -auto closing with a spring ... I use foot, elbow or head to push the 4" x 5 " rocker switch up & down... so far no help needed.photo 4photo 2

photo 3

check out all the options at http://bruno.com/index.html – Get out! Don’t sit around the house all day!  LFTM !

Comedy

Why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment